Saturday, April 14, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to the Next Generation Asian Studies Forum! This blog aims to provide an arena for discussion and exchange of ideas among young professionals and scholars in the Asian studies and International Relations communities. The forum hopes to build a network through which colleagues, classmates, and scholars with common interests can keep in touch and broaden their understanding of all things Asia.

The possibility of leaving DC and the virtual certainty of leaving the enjoyable academic environment of grad school upon completion of my degree in May got me thinking. Inspired by an lively class blog this semester, I thought an Asian studies blog, maintained by my own friends and colleagues, would provide an ideal way to keep in touch with those people, and also ensure my continued exposure to lively academic discussions and debate in an area I am most passionate about.

The end result is the Next Generation Asian Studies Forum (name open to change). I think this project could prove really interesting for everyone involved, not to mention provide a great social tool for contributors to keep track of what friends and former colleagues are up to.

Admissable content is really wide open...articles, useful links, interesting events, personal analysis, amusing pictures, you name it. Contributors can post as much or as little as they would like. It might take a little while for things to get off the ground, but my hope is this blog can take off, and provide a valuable academic and social tool for everyone involved. Again, welcome, and I look forward to seeing where this goes!

No comments: